Featured Post

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Flash Fiction (Story #2)

     I entered the elevator like I do every morning. The doors closed and I pressed the button for the 4th floor. My routine never changes or wavers. The monotony of riding this elevator to the 4th floor is almost numbing at times. The 2nd floor lights up, as does the 3rd, and on to my destination. There are only 4 floors to my building. I sigh as I stop on the 4th, but then something happened. I see that I haven't stopped. A light flashes as a 5th floor, 6th floor, then 7th, 8th, 9th... What is going on?! I start to panic as I frantically press the stop button. The ceiling lights begin the flicker and this metal box begins to shake violently. I scream as I hear a loud snap, and I feel my feet leaving the floor as I am dropped.
     I close my eyes and brace for the violent impact. Running through my mind was the thought of this freak accident on the evening news. I could see my picture plastered on the TV as the commentators  say "he was in the wrong place at the wrong time", and other stupid clichés. I pictured my funeral and the small turn-out. I thought of my children and even my dog. I was prepared to see whatever there was on the other side of this world.
     The impact never came. The doors opened, and I was on the 4th floor. I stepped out onto the floor, when at that very moment I heard a loud snap. The elevator fell so fast I could feel the breeze from within the shaft. A massive crash shook the building like thunder. Debris and dust bellowed up from the shaft as I watched in amazement. Not today... Not today... I was suddenly thankful for my mundane life.






No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I write stuff...