Featured Post

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

The old man

The old man sneered; as the sickly odor of whiskey and cigarettes escaped his crooked mouth... 
He wasn't as old as his weathered face suggested, but old to me...
He looked at me with his piercing dark eyes and said, "son, have you been saved?" "Saved from what"? I rudely replied. "You know... Has Jesus saved your soul?"
I looked at him as if he was speaking Chinese... "No sir, I suppose not," I finally responded. Who was this old, drunk hypocrite asking ME about MY righteousness?
It was bitterly cold that late December night. I was picking up a few last minute Christmas gifts, and was headed to my car when the old man approached me. I scoffed at his remarks, and got into my car. He knocked on my window and I was about to ignore him and drive off until I saw his crudely written little sign... It read: "Deaf and dumb... Please give what you can... God bless you..."
I tearfully gave him all the cash I had, and when I got home I fell to my knees...
The old man had never uttered a word...

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I write stuff...